Wednesday, March 3, 2010

$2/day on food, $10/day on happy hour


Since I lost my wallet, I've been forced to seriously budget my stipend. Jack gave us $100, meant to last for the five and a half days that we are back in Cairns. So far I've been taking advantage of the free breakfast at the hostel each morning, which includes cereal, milk, bread, peanut butter, jelly, butter, and vegemite. Shrewdly, I've been making PB&J sandwiches in the morning and saving them for lunch in the afternoon. For dinner, we've been cooking the leftover pasta from the camping trip and heating up $2 packages of frozen vegetables from the grocery store. I managed to spend $0 on food yesterday since some of hte kids in the hostel cooked extra kangaroo meat and were giving it away for free! Our thrifty behavior has allowed us to spend more of our stipend on happy hour drinks. We never pay full price for a drink when we can help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment